Nutrition is one vital element of health. March is National Nutrition Month in the United States. Doctors at ChiroHealth fully believe that nutrition is an important part of any wellness plan. The doctors also believe that other vital elements to health include hydration, proper oxygenation, and nerve function.
“Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food. “ – Hippocrates
- Choose organic, unprocessed foods.
- Reduce your sugar intake.
- Raw foods have more nutrients than their cooked counterparts.
- If you find the need to supplement, choose quality supplements.
The general rule for water intake daily is 1/2 of your body weight in ounces.
- Water is part of almost every chemical reaction that happens in your body.
- Metabolism, circulation, and waste removal are all body functions that depend on proper hydration.
Without adequate oxygen, health problems are guaranteed. (Source: LaValle, James B., and Stacy Lundin. Yale. Cracking the Metabolic Code: 9 Keys to Optimal Health. North Bergen, NJ: Basic Health Publications, 2004.)
- Oxygen is vital to the body’s ability to process waste.
- Practice deep breathing daily to increase oxygenation in the body. Many health professionals recommend 5-10 minutes a day.
- Incorporate yoga or Pilates into your exercise routine, they are more likely to help you focus on deep breathing.
The central nervous system consists of 43 pairs of nerves that connect to your brain and spinal cord.
- The vertebrae in your spine protect the spinal cord and nervous system connections.
- Mis-alignments (subluxations) can be the cause of interference in the nerves of the body.
- Getting adjusted regularly (not just when there is the appearance of pain) can help optimum nerve function.
These are just the essential parts of a healthy lifestyle. Anyone can make improvements in these areas will put them on the right path to healthier living. Other common suggestions for better health include making sure you get enough sleep, including aerobic exercise in your workout routine, and reducing stress in your daily life.